Now this is a special treat! Benjamin made this pie (with a little help from his dad) as a Mother’s Day gift for his mom Monique. And it is a surprise for her tomorrow. We also made some homemade vanilla ice cream for some a la mode speciality!
Blueberry Strawberry Peach Pie
2 cups Blueberries
2 cups Strawberries
2 cups Peaches, skinned and sliced
¼ cup Tapioca, instant
1 cup Sugar
¼ tsp Salt
½ tsp Cinnamon
1 Tbsp Lemon juice
2 ½ cups All purpose flour
2/3 cup Butter
½ cup Chilled water
½ tsp salt
- Pre heat oven to 450° F.
- Combine the fruit in a bowl and add the tapioca, sugar, salt and cinnamon and stir well then add the lemon juice and allow this to sit for 15 minutes.
- In another bowl cut in half the butter into the flour and then cut in the remaining butter until it looks like cornmeal.
- Slowly drizzle the cool water into the flour butter mixture until it forms a solid dough mass.
- Turn out the dough into two equal portions and using a rolling pin flatten out two 10” round by ¼” inch thick pieces of dough.
- Place one of the round dough pieces into a pie plate and form into the plate. Then with the tines of a fork press in holes to allow air to escape.
- Pre bake the pie shell for 10 minutes, then remove to cool
- While the pie shell is pre baking slice about 9 to 10 ½” wide strips of dough for the lattice crust topping.
- Gently pour the fruit filling mixture into the pie shell and even it out.
- Then make a basket weave lattice work with the dough strips on the top of the pie.
- Bake in the oven at 450° F for the first 10 minutes, and then reduce heat to 350° F for the next 45-50 minutes.
- Top the pie with foil if it looks like the lattice is browning to fast.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool.